Star Micronics TSP600 receipt printer driver released

Posted on: Thursday, Jan 17, 2008

Update:

Two very kind users have repackaged the driver for Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala. The old package is still available below, but the new one is here: starcupsdrv_2.3.0-1ubuntu1_i386.deb

Old driver
Finally! After very popular demand, I’ve managed to post starcupsdrv_2.3.0-0ubuntu1_i386.deb just for you! Since WordPress is not nice about uploading .deb files, I’ve put it on a separate sub domain with a direct download link. No special scripts or sign-in required.

If you download and use the deb file, I’d appreciate if you could leave a quick comment on this post to say hi. If the deb is really that popular, I’ll work on expanding support for it.

Once you’ve downloaded the deb, you can install it with the following command:

dpkg -i starcupsdrv_2.3.0-1ubuntu1_i386.deb

Jason

February 20th, 2008 at 6:26 am
Permalink this comment

Hey Marc, Thanks for the .deb. It installed fine. What can I use to test it? I tried “lp textfile.txt” but it returned “no default destination available”. I’m running Ubuntu 7.10 and my TSP600 printer is USB attached. There are several DIP switches in the printer … maybe I have those set wrong.

Marc

February 20th, 2008 at 8:25 am

Hi Jason,

I’m willing to bet that you don’t need to mess with the dip switches. I’ve got mine on the defaults.

To configure and test your printer, point your browser to http://localhost:631/ It’s the CUPS config utility for your comp. You should be able to print a test page from there. If you would instead like to test with the command line “lp” set of utilities, you’ll need to specify the printer like so:
“lpr -P Star_TSP600_ textfile.txt”

Keep in mind with the above command both that
A) I’m using the newer “lpr” instead of “lp”
B) “Star_TSP600_” is the name of the printer as defined in the CUPS config. It may be different for your setup.

Let me know if that helps.

Juan Arce

August 3rd, 2008 at 11:40 am
Permalink this comment

I have any problem with printer star sp512, The printer install ok with .deb packages but if I send printer jobs of web pages (in Firefox 3.0) in the paper only print the number of page (ej: Page 1 of 1) in the end of page, but not print the content of the document.

Sorry for my bad English,

Greetings;

Juan Arce
Costa Rica

Michael Kelly

September 24th, 2008 at 3:12 am

Great Job. Thanks a million marc… Saved me alot of hardship!! Cheers

Eli

October 14th, 2008 at 6:32 am
Permalink this comment

Thanks so much for this. We’re looking for a receipt printer to run on our Ubuntu circulation desk system here at the public library and this will help tremendously.

Thanks!

Stone

November 7th, 2008 at 11:42 am
Permalink this comment

Awesome! Thank you so much.

ronny

January 19th, 2009 at 12:11 am

hello, great post..
what about printer epson tm-u220 series, do you have or teach me how to install on ubuntu.
or maybe the star driver can be use for epson ??

thanks for your attention.

best regards
ronny

Diego H.

January 28th, 2009 at 6:29 am
Permalink this comment

I have ready install the drivers, but when i sent a job puts the printer in disable and don’t print anything

Brian M

February 24th, 2009 at 3:18 am
Permalink this comment

I have installed the driver and it works great with a star TSP100.

Thanks for making it available.

J Nivar

April 28th, 2009 at 7:36 am
Permalink this comment

I have installed the driver and it works great with a star Modelo TSP143U.

Thanks for making it available.

Bertrand Soullier

June 30th, 2009 at 8:38 am

Hi,

Your driver works great with Ubuntu 9.04 and my TSP100.

Thanks.

Rickan

August 13th, 2009 at 1:48 am
Permalink this comment

Great! I just downloaded the deb file. I have a TSP 700 and was thinking about how to get it working. I’ll get back after installing it.

Michael Krog

October 18th, 2009 at 11:59 am

Hi.

The package does not work for Ubuntu 9.10 because libcupsys2 changed its packagename to libcups2.

I have changed the control in the packaged and rebuilded it.

Any idea where I should put it?

Marc

October 22nd, 2009 at 1:52 pm

Hi Michael,

Thanks for fixing the package for 9.10! If you email me the new deb file, I’ll host it in the same place as the existing driver and post a link to it up top.

-Marc

Narcis

November 23rd, 2009 at 11:53 am
Permalink this comment

The old package name can be downloaded from:

Ryan Hayward

December 20th, 2009 at 9:51 pm

Hey Marc

Fantastic job! the link for the new 9.10 is broken. Can you fix it?

Thanks
~Ryan

Marc

December 21st, 2009 at 10:43 am
Permalink this comment

Whoops! There was a permission issue on the new file. I’ve fixed it and it should now work for everyone.

Thanks Ryan!

Ryan Hayward

December 21st, 2009 at 7:59 pm
Permalink this comment

Awesome, thanks alot! What pos system are you using for your customer. I am having an issue with the orginal version of the driver in 8.04. It installs fine and works great as a system printer, but inside of OpenBravo POS it won’t print. In the logs give me a rastastar filter error 1 output. Any ideas?

~Ryan
OSCanada

Hermo

March 1st, 2010 at 6:51 pm
Permalink this comment

This is very fantastic. Thank you very much.. I’ve been working for this in a couple of weeks but still i can’t get it work.. You driver solve my problem.. Cheer! ;)

Steven

April 2nd, 2010 at 12:02 am
Permalink this comment

I have downloaded the second package and will try it on Debian Squeeze.

Matt

July 2nd, 2010 at 12:27 am
Permalink this comment

Thank your so much for this driver, Im using ubuntu 10.04 Im unable to see any text but the paper feeds out

is it possible that the ink is out, is there a printer self test for a tsp613

Marc

July 16th, 2010 at 7:15 am
Permalink this comment

I’m very glad to see so many people getting good use out of this driver! Keep it up!

@Matt, there could be a few different problems causing the blank paper feed out. To print the test page, use your localhost CUPS utility (http://localhost:631/). If your printer is configured through there, it has a very easy “Print Test Page” button (or something to that effect).

If the test page prints fine, then you have a problem in the data you’re sending to the printer. That could be any number of things, but the first place I would look is the formatting. Try varying your formatting to get different output (i.e. use different font-sizes, etc). Your best tool is to use the command line utilities like lpr to diagnose the problem.

@Ryan, we’re using a homebrew piece of software for the POS. In retrospect, maybe not the best decision, but we needed some very custom functionality, and it’s been happily chugging along for 3 years now. How do you like OpenBravo?

Thanks!

Michael Krog

August 6th, 2010 at 10:28 am
Permalink this comment

If you are in for a treat then look here! :)

I see some of you guys are asking about POS-systems so I just want to advert why I am using a linux driver for the star printer and thus why I took the time to repackage the driver. :)

I am developing an ONLINE pos system – all you need is a browser. It’s acting like a normal application, has an Apple like interface and for now ITS FREE!

If you wanna take a look its right here: http://qashapp.com

-Michael

Chazsani

August 12th, 2010 at 9:32 pm
Permalink this comment

Sweetness! Downloaded the deb… and dpkg -i and a little localhost:631/admin work… and POS receipts are kicking out!!!
Ubuntu 10.04| xTuple 3.5.1
Getting print requests from Linux (Ubuntu, CentOS/Redhat, SuSE; Macs; and WinDoze XP;Vista/7).
Good job guys!!!
Chazsani

[...] a Point of Sale (POS) printer called Star Micronics TSP100. It had a USB interface, and i found an ubuntu .deb package with the drivers. Following standard Ubuntu printer install procedures, i had it working in no [...]

Tyler

May 4th, 2011 at 6:35 pm
Permalink this comment

Just installed this. Configured in minutes with a TSP600. AWESOME!@ You rock my socks, sir. Much appreciation.

Cesar Chacon

November 1st, 2011 at 12:48 pm

Hi Marc Leglise :

Would you have some 64bits driver for this debian package?

Best Regards

Marc

November 1st, 2011 at 12:57 pm

Hi Cesar,

I don’t have a 64-bit driver, unfortunately. My build machine is 32 only. If anyone would like to compile a 64-bit version, I’d be happy to post it here for people to find.

Joseph

December 21st, 2011 at 6:21 pm

Thank you, worked a treat on ubuntu 11.10

Joseph

December 22nd, 2011 at 2:56 am
Permalink this comment

However. There is a message of cupsys not being present however, and the driver is removed by Ubuntu Software Centre. USC wont install the deb because of the cupsys issue.

Irene

January 26th, 2012 at 8:15 am
Permalink this comment

hi, i have a tsp643 with a serial interface and I’m using a SerialUsb adapter. If I execute “dmesg” the output is:
type=1503 audit(1327593662.197:24): operation=”open” pid=2763 parent=2762 profile=”/usr/sbin/cupsd” requested_mask=”w::” denied_mask=”w::” fsuid=0 ouid=0 name=”/dev/ttyUSB0″

I installed all the driver but, when I add a printer throught cups via http://localhost:631/, it founds only SCSI as local printer. Why?
Thank you so much and sorry for my bad English,